Friday, October 11, 2013

LP of the Day: Wax Poetic, 'Wax Poetic,' (2000, Atlantic Records)


For a brief moment in time, around the turn of the Millenium, there emerged in New York City a supergroup of sorts. I say 'of sorts,' because it was a loose collective of all sortsa peeps who would move in and out of this collective, some destined for superstardom, and some, destined to be virtually unsearchable on Google. Is that such a sad fate? Perhaps not, considering some of the stuff about oneself that's so hard to remove from the Interwebs!

The 'group,' Wax Poetic, would go on to cut a follow-up, 'The Nublu Sessions' (2003), almost a companion piece to their self titled debut LP ('Wax Poetic,' released March 2000), which featured some of the same cast of musicians. Over the course of 4 more albums released the decade following, three of which were so concept-oriented towards physical places that they were named for those places (Copenhagen, Istanbul, Brasil), while original members would guest-in from time to time, only one would be a constant presence. That is founder, composer, principal lyricist, and multi-instrumentalist (saxophone, keyboards/synth) Ilhan Ersahin. In addition to all that, Ersahin is also a producer, musical curator, and founder of the Nublu Records label.


The Wax Poetic sound circa 2000, with its nocturnal Downtown/Lower East Side vibe a fresh blend of some seriously played-out genres by that time (trip-hop/downtempo, ambient, acid jazz, drum n bass), would not remain constant. It continued towards slightly different directions in 2003's Nublu, then kept morphing, taking cues from Copenhagen, Istanbul, and Brasil. By 2012's 'On A Ride,' hardly a shred of the original LP's sound was still in play. This is not a bad thing, per se. I would imagine that the stylistic and personnel changes created a host of creative inspiration, positive musical challenges, and generally kept the vibe fresh. And as mentioned, having some of the old collaborators return as guest artists across multiple albums must have made for some sentimental and furtive alumni reunions!

Ok, I've gone on three full paragraphs already and still haven't stated the obvious, for people who have had any previous exposure to Wax Poetic and their history. The 'obvious' is that a certain megastar, the then barely 20-year old Norah Jones, following a one-LP stint on lead vocals in Laszlo ('In a Whisper' is her standout track!), rose to prominence as a member of Wax Poetic on 'Wax Poetic', and features prominently on some of their finest cuts, both on lead vocals, and in a casual supporting role as sometime backup on piano and keys. More about that shortly.


To the point of this post, 'Wax Poetic' the debut LP of Wax Poetic is in my opinion one of the finest releases ever to come out of the Trip-Hop/Downtempo movement, if there ever really was any such 'movement.'  I kinda doubt it, but labels and categorizations aside, it's just one really fucking fine-ass album! It's got all the elements of greatness: 9 full-length songs of wide sonic and mood variety, punctuated by equally as many shorter, interstitial ambient and instrumental interludes; tasty grooves and minimalist, spatial musicianship; some bitchin' hard bop-esque Jazz arrangements that would make the O.G. hard boppers proud; perfectly placed delicious stabs and evocative flourishes of electronica sound effects flair; heady, impressionistic lyricisms that channel the collective zeitgeist; an amazing collection of singers/MCs with unique vocal styles--Jones being the most recognizable one, but there's a particular wordsmith I'd also like to recognize, Rhasaan (Rahsaan?) Manning (ahh, that baritone!)--and lastly, this being the clincher--what an amazing collection of live performers, with some serious stage presence!

Don't take my word for it. Check out this duo of performance video clips from their breakout debut period, the stellar Jones-led 'Technologie' and 'Purple Elephants.'

Sadly, the video quality is poor, but there is so much to be enjoyed in these performances.

'Technologie' runs about a minute longer than the original LP version, which I've also attached below. In addition to the great performance (and ohhh those lyrics!), a bonus is the cheesy, overly earnest intro to the 'Technologie' video by the host of the program 'Jazz Central' (with a name like Sunny Sumter it has to be cheesy!)...priceless!

1. Technologie (Live Video Version and LP Version)

Technology by Wax Poetic by Steelydan

'What's goin' on this world?'
What's goin' on this world?
All I see
Technologie
All I see

When I turned on the TV

Who did I see?
Ricki (Lake)'s trying to tell me 
Who I can be
Fat or thin, you know you have a friend
In me.
Watch me, Watch me!

I got my MTV

I think she's more grand than me
She tells me what to say
What to wear 
How to do my hair
She lets my music play
'Cause black and rapper's in today
Technologie
Technologie.

I took a pill today

Because I couldn't concentrate
And then I took another pill
'Cause my life didn't give me no thrills
I was on a site today
This is where our children play
Another place to put the blame
If your child is a little insane.

What happened to loving me?

What happened to nights without TV?
What happened to loving me?
What happened to reading to me?

Technologie...Technologie...Technologie...'


2. Purple Elephants (Live Video Version)

Purple Elephants by Wax Poetic by Steelydan

The video for 'Purple Elephants' is equal to 'Technologie' in its musical excellence, yet in some ways the performance exceeds that of the other track. This version of 'Purple Elephants' attains its superiority in that moment of awesomeness, at around four minutes and eleven seconds, where Norah Jones nonchalantly gets off the mic, walks over to the Fender Rhodes Keyboard rig that Ersahin had been playing, and then (SPOILER ALERT!) cooly sits down and starts playing it, while Ersahin picks up the sax and launches into a blistering, epic two-minute-plus solo that rips it out til the end of the song!



The most well-known Jones contribution to the record, 'Angels,' is perhaps a misnomer. While her sparse vocals mellifluously cascade above the song like Angels in the ether, it's really vocalist (and co-composer) Val Jeanty who steals the show with the cool flow in French (she's Haitian, so it comes natural)! In a rare occurrence, though the song was released in 2000 on the debut LP, the video was shot in 2008 and stars Ersahin, along with some gorgeous peeps, including model Kali Hawk, so...enjoy!

3. Angels


One last tip of the hat to Jones for her masterful vocal performance on 'Driftin,' one of  the most drum and bass-centric of the tracks, alongside 'Selim II.'  Her jazz phrasing flutters in and out of the song like a songbird driftin' high above, while down here on terra firma, wicked acoustic standup basslines rip, trumpets pop, bop, and echo, guitars churn and bend, and keyboards build a sparse yet expansive (oxymoron?) digital delay soundscape!

4. Driftin'



As the song 'Driftin' fades off, the companion drum and bassness of 'Selim II' fades in seamlessly and brings us into another side of the Wax Poetic vocal vibe, that of relative enigma and obscure entity Rahsaan Manning...or is Rhasaan Manning? Even the spelling of his name is uncertain! This dood, with his deep baritone and dry, almost monotone delivery, has a distinctive style to his spoken-word/rap phrasing, a dark, moody calm that somehow juxtaposes perfectly with all the manic jazz and drum and bass chaos swirling around him. I wish I could find more of his work, but as of this writing, this LP's all I've got, folks! Manning is co-credited as composer of the aforementioned 'Selim II,' the jazzy, accordion-spiced, dub-inflected 'Rootgroove,' and 'Megaphone,' which at 1:30, should barely be a song, but somehow Manning makes it a completely fulfilling one!


I have no pics of Rahsaan/Rhasaan Manning, no video, and nary a visual aide. So we'll have to end this post old skool, and take it out with the trio of tunes that brilliantly illuminate Dr. Manning's dark, moody, expressive, impressionistic wordpainting and auditory acumen.

5. Selim II (featuring Rhasaan Manning)


'Out From Under the Asphalt Sky, And Into The Man-Made Atmosphere.
Out From Under the Asphalt Sky, And Into The Man-Made Air.' 

6. Rootgroove (featuring Rhasaan Manning)


'I Have Slept on Myself For So Long
Fueling the Fire, Feeding the Fantasy
I've Been Weak, Wept To Be Strong
Need to Get Higher To See What I See

I Have Slept on Myself For So Long
Fueling the Fire, Feeding the Fantasy
I've Been Weak, Wept To Be Strong
A Fool...an N.O.G.'

7. Megaphone (featuring Rhasaan Manning)


'Days Pass in Drab Drones
Timothy Handshakes Sycophants in the Idols
Deal in the Stakes
Who Fronts the Loot For the Escapades
Who Wants to Pay the Junkie on Holiday
Remember, the First Time You Imagine Kissin' The Third Rail
Breathin' Dense Stench
Like Incense
Spiral Embryo Against
The Gales That Someone Wails
From the Frontside Lookin' In
To The Blackness At the Base of A Chin
Watching the Progress of the Piss of A Bum
Twiddling My Thumbs to the Steady, Steady Hum
Avoiding the All Aluminum
Living Sufficient Freedom'


Wax Poetic's 'Wax Poetic.' A Brief Moment in Time, And One For the Ages.








1 comment:

  1. Hello, I am Rhasaan Oyasaba Manning. Thank you very much for your comments in this article. FYI, I have continued making music since the oddly litigious album you discuss above was recorded. There is a lot more of my music for you to discover. You can check out my band OYASABA's music videos, 4 albums, and some of my other work on my website: http://www.oyasaba.com.
    Feel free to contact me at:
    oyasaba@bkny.com
    718.404.7409

    ReplyDelete